Saturday, September 17, 2011

What is Reality?


Survey the scene in your life.  What are the broken walls around you?  Last week we explored how Nehemiah responded to the reality of the broken walls of Jerusalem.  He heard the news and wept.  Nehemiah shows us Building Block #1 to rebuilding the walls: Come to grips with reality and grieve what is not right.  The process of grief allows us to face our situation (broken families, friendships, relationships, marriages, community problems, addictions, etc) head on.  When we grieve an issue, we are able to let go of what should be and address what is.  The reality of our broken down walls is sad because it is not what we ever wanted.  I didn’t want my marriage to fail.  I didn’t want to be alone.  I didn’t want my sister to hate me.  I didn’t want to be addicted to drugs or alcohol. I didn’t want my spouse or child to die.  We use massive amounts of energy holding on to the ideal or what should have been.  We use massive amounts of energy on stuffing our sadness, ignoring the problem or denying what is real.  Yes, we are living in the wake of Genesis 3 but the radical good news is Jesus Christ offers us redemption and renewal of our broken down realities.

Weeping for something broken often leads us to our knees in prayer.  Come explore with us Nehemiah’s bold prayer and Building Block #2.  Read Nehemiah 1:4-11 for Sunday. 

Don’t forget……….
·      Good News! We still have a few openings for church directory photos! Sign up on Sunday!
·      Men sign up for the men’s retreat and purchase your ticket for the Courageous Movie!
·      New Sunday School Grow Group Electives begin in 2 weeks!

See you Sunday!
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment